Objective of Study Tour
The overall objective of the study tour is to:
Increase awareness of the potential national level REDD+ architecture, how this can be developed and what challenges need to be overcome.
More specifically it is hoped that the study tour will help key stakeholders understand a number of key policy and operational areas including:
- How to balance interest project level voluntary market interests and approaches to REDD+ at the national level
- What structures are appropriate for managing interest in voluntary carbon initiatives?
- How can pilot sites inform national policy development?
- How to ensure a project developer is a genuine business?
- How structures and systems for monitoring a national framework of safeguards can be developed and maintained
From the tour, knowledge and ideas have been gained prompting better understanding of:
- How a system of safeguards has been developedand which agencies are responsible for it?
- The key stakeholders involved REDD+ implementation
- How to develop approaches to REDD+ that are able to work with customary landowners
- How to arrange benefit sharing and cost sharing with landowners in REDD+ development?
- How to balance landowner interest in logging with interest in forest carbon?
- How to address forest carbon rights and landowner rights?
- The importance of grievance mechanisms and how to develop them.